In some circles, when you hear the word cocktail, people automatically think it’s a lady’s drink. But that cannot be farther from the truth. Case in point: have you ever seen the hit show, Mad Men? Enough said, right? So here are some of the manliest cocktails that you can order in your favorite bar or restaurant. Or if you’re spending an evening at home, you can also whip up these classy drinks for gentlemen on your own easily.
5 Must-Try Manliest Cocktails
The classiest men have had at least one Old-Fashioned in their life. In fact, this is one of the few gentleman cocktails that has become a symbol of sophistication in men. But don’t be fooled! Because with the right ingredients, you can prepare it in just a few minutes.
How to Make the Perfect Old Fashioned
- Combine a sugar cube, a dash of Hella Bitter Aromatic, and a dash of Hella Bitter Citrus.
- Add a few drops of water. Muddle thoroughly with the stainless steel Outset Muddler.
- Drop in the 2.5” sphere ice cube from the Tovolo Ice Sphere Mold.
- Pour 2 ounces of rye whiskey over the ice.
- Peel an orange twist over the glass with the Garnishing Tool.
- Drink like a man.
Make your Old-Fashioned cocktail easily with the complete equipment and ingredients. Just add rye whiskey. Grab The Gentleman and Scholar Old-Fashioned Cocktail Set and start mixing!
The Manhattan is another big contender in the best cocktails for men, making it a big favorite of both gentlemen and ladies. The classic recipe calls for bourbon or whiskey. You can also use rye whiskey as an alternative. Whichever option you choose, you know it’ll turn out delicious and smooth.
How to Make the Perfect Manhattan
- In a mixing glass, add some ice.
- Add 2 ounces of bourbon or rye whiskey.
- Stir in an ounce of sweet vermouth and 2 dashes of Angostura bitters.
- Once stirred and chilled, strain into your coupe.
- You can garnish it with a brandied cherry if you choose.
3. Whiskey Sour
If you’re looking for a true classic cocktail, you can’t get anything better than a Whiskey Sour, which goes back to the mid-1800s. Sailors often drank these when they had water shortages while onboard. Adding limes or lemons helped prevent scurvy, a common illness at the time.
How to Make the Perfect Whiskey Sour
- Place 1 ½ ounce of whiskey or bourbon, 1 ½ ounce of lemon juice, and 1 ½ ounce of water in a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice. You may add simple syrup for sweetness.
- Shake well to chill.
- Strain into a martini glass or rocks glass.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge.
- Serve and enjoy.
4. Vodka Martini
Yet another classic favorite, Vodka Martini is often enjoyed in Mad Men and other famous movies and TV shows – and it’s not surprising why. You can go for any brand of vodka, but high-quality brands will give the best flavor!
How to Make the Perfect Vodka Martini
- Mix 3 ounces of vodka with 1 ounce of dry vermouth in a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir to chill completely.
- Garnish with 3 olives on a toothpick.
- Drink up!
5. Bloody Mary
Most popularly known as a hangover drink and as a perfect brunch cocktail, the Bloody Mary is timeless. This tomato-based drink makes our list because of its authenticity and flavor. Usually done with vodka, you can also alter your recipe and use gin, whiskey, or even tequila!
How to Make the Perfect Bloody Mary
- Start with two Libbey Endeavor Highball Glasses.
- Moisten the rims of your glasses with a damp paper towel, and then press into the Naturally Flavored Bloody Mary Salt Mix to properly salt your glasses.
- Throw some ice in those glasses, and then a few splashes of your favorite vodka (not included with the kit).
- Select either the Classic Bloody Mary Mix or the Chilies & Peppers Bloody Mary Mix as your base, depending on how fiery you’re feeling. Add 2 tablespoons of the mix and then fill the rest of the glass with your tomato juice of choice.
- Throw in a dash of Texas Pete Hot Sauce for some kick – and another dash for some more!
- Garnish your drink with some Filthy Foods Gourmet Cocktail Olives or Onions.
All of these ingredients are conveniently available in one cocktail set, the
Hair of the Dog. We send out your Broquet in a real wooden crate made of American pine, for that extra manly opening experience.
Which of our favorite manly drinks are your top picks? Go ahead and try out these easy recipes tonight!