After a parent’s long day at work or a kid’s busy day doing school projects, a delicious and healthy dinner takes away the fatigue after a long day. The dinner table is where we get to bond, have fun and enjoy each other’s company. It doesn’t have to be a formal affair, but it should be an opportunity for everyone in the family to make new memories. So if you are running out of ideas on what to prepare, we got you covered! Here are some healthy family recipes for dinner you can prepare for your next dinner party.
“I have long maintained that each of us has three chances a day to be happy: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.” -Elin Hilderbrand
Benefits of Eating Healthy Recipes
Eating healthy recipes is vital so that we can take care of our body. In taking care of our body, we will have a healthier lifestyle and have higher chances to have a longer life. Here are some benefits of eating healthy recipes:
- Help individuals maintain a healthy weight.
- Provide vitamins, minerals or nutrients that a person needs for growth and repair and boost overall immunity against illnesses.
- Lowers risk of developing diabetes and other health issues.
- Improve heart health such as maintaining blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Healthy Family Recipes for your next Family Dinner
A family meal is one of the healthiest habits you can develop, but it only works if everyone enjoys it. If your dinners are always the same, they tend to get boring. Here are some recipes that I think will entice even the most skeptical family member to open up their mind, and their mouth, to trying new things. Great thing is, these recipes are healthy too!
1) Grilled Pork Barbecue
- 4 lb pork shoulder sliced into thin pieces
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup extracted lemon juice
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. Smokey Memphis Rub
- Start by combining the soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic powder, and ground black pepper.¾ cup soy sauce, ½ cup extracted lemon juice, 4 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Mix in ketchup and add salt before mixing well to coat both sides of each slice of pork. Place this mixture into a nonporous bowl that can be covered with plastic wrap or foil without leaking out any flavorings. Now cover it up and place it in your refrigerator so you can let these flavors marinate overnight or at least four hours while you do other prep work like chopping vegetables! Finally take all those slices once they're done marinating.¾ cup ketchup, 2 tsp. salt, 4 lb pork shoulder sliced into thin pieces
- Preheat your grill for about 20 minutes, and then start cooking the pork on all sides until it is browned nicely from both sides.
- Add the Smokey Memphis rub during the first 5 to 10 minutes of the grilling process. Finally, wait for another 15 to 30 minutes before serving so that you can taste a perfect piece of juicy tenderness after which you will enjoy this amazing meal with family.4 tsp. Smokey Memphis Rub
2) Grilled BBQ Turkey
- 6 pcs turkey legs and/or thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- salt to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- Mustard BBQ Sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, grated (use a box grater or cheese grater)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- Pat the turkey pieces dry with paper towels. Salt the turkey pieces well all over and combine all the other ingredients. Let it sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.6 pcs turkey legs and/or thighs, trimmed of excess fat, salt to taste, Mustard BBQ Sauce, 4 tbsp butter, 1/2 onion, grated (use a box grater or cheese grater), 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup yellow mustard, 1 tbsp dry mustard, 1 tsp cayenne, 1 bay leaf
- Prepare your grill for high direct heat on one side, and quite low indirect heat on the other side. To do this using a gas grill turn on only half of the burners. If using a charcoal grill, leave one side of your grill free of coals. If using a gas grill, preheat covered for at least 15 minutes.When the grill is hot, clean the grill grates with a grill grate scraper. Wipe down the grates with a paper towel soaked in oil.
- Rub oil all over the turkey pieces. Lay the turkey pieces down on the hot grill, skin side down, to get an initial sear on the turkey.Pay attention because the fat in the turkey may cause flare ups. If this happens be prepared to move the piece to a cooler side of the grill temporarily, or have a spay bottle of water on hand to douse the flames a bit if they get too high.Sear the turkey on the skin side for 3-4 minutes.extra virgin olive oil
- Once the skin of a piece starts to get browned, move the piece to the cool side of the grill, turning it over so that the skin side is now up. This way the fat under the skin will melt into the meat, basting it, during the next slow-cooking phase.
- Once you've moved all the turkey to the cool side of the grill, cover the grill and let the turkey slow-cook for 20 minutes without looking.Check every 15-20 minutes after that, because everyone’s grill is different. The turkey should cook for at least 1 1/2 hours after the initial sear, probably longer. (I think we cooked these pictured for 2 1/2 hours.) Barbecue by definition must be slow cooking over low heat.
- After about an hour, start to paint the turkey with the barbecue sauce. Paint only the top part (skin side) to start. Cover and wait another 20 minutes or so. Then flip the turkey over and paint the undersides. Cover and wait another 15 to 20 minutes.
3) Hickory BBQ Chicken Wings
- 1 kg chicken wings
- Hickory Smokehouse BBQ Sauce
- 20 g Bold Flavor Rub for All Meats
- 250 g cold water
- 150 g Tempura Batter
- MarinateDry the chicken wings with a clean paper towel. Mix 20 grams of the Bold Flavor Rub to 1 kilogram of chicken wings. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours1 kg chicken wings, 20 g Bold Flavor Rub for All Meats
- Prep tempura batterMix 150 grams of tempura batter and 250 grams of cold water (make sure that the water is cold).150 g Tempura Batter, 250 g cold water
- CoatDip the chicken wings in tempura batter.
- FryFry them on medium heat. Avoid overcrowding the pan, leaving lots of space around each piece so the chicken will cook evenly. Wait until golden brown.
- FlavorPut the Hickory Smokehouse BBQ sauce in a bowl. Dip the bristles of the brush into the sauce and coat the chicken wings completely.Hickory Smokehouse BBQ Sauce
4) Homemade Beef Stew
- 2 pcs Yukon Gold potatoes diced into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- ¼ cup Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Bay Leaves
- 2 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves to garnish
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Yellow Onion Chopped Large
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Large Carrot or two small-medium, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 lbs Beef Chuck Roast cut into 2-inch chunks, excess fat removed
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Gluten-free All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat for non-gluten
- Preheat the oven to the temperature of 325° F.
- Apply salt and pepper on all sides of the beef chunks. Also, sprinkle the flour over and toss the seasoned beef to coat it on all sides.2 lbs Beef Chuck Roast cut into 2-inch chunks, excess fat removed, 1 tsp Kosher Salt, ½ tsp Coarsely Ground Black Pepper, 2 tbsp Gluten-free All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat for non-gluten
- In a large oven, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Brown the beef in batches, on all sides, for 3-4 minutes per batch. Don’t worry about cooking the beef all the way through at this stage. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.2 tbsp Olive Oil
- You can now add the onions, garlic, and carrots to the Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned.½ Yellow Onion Chopped Large, 4 Garlic Cloves, minced, 1 Large Carrot or two small-medium, cut into 2-inch chunks
- Add the potatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce, and use a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.2 pcs Yukon Gold potatoes diced into 2-inch pieces, 2 cups Beef Broth, ¼ cup Tomato Paste, Bay Leaves, 2 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves to garnish, 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring, and return the beef to the pot. Cover the Dutch oven, and transfer to the preheated oven
- Cook the stew for 2-2.5 hours, or until the beef is very tender. Remove the bay leaf and taste the stew. You may also season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve warm.
5) Honey Garlic Glazed Salmon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 pcs 6-oz. salmon fillets, patted dry with a paper towel
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pc lemon, sliced into rounds
- Whisk together honey, soy sauce, lemon juice and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl.1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- In a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat, add two tablespoons oil. When oil is already hot, add salmon skin-side up and season with salt and pepper. Cook salmon until you achieve a deeply golden color In about 6 minutes, flip the salmon and add the remaining tablespoon of oil.3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided, 4 pcs 6-oz. salmon fillets, patted dry with a paper towel, Kosher salt, Freshly ground black pepper
- Add the garlic to the skillet / pan and cook it until it becomes fragrant, 1 minute. Add in the honey mixture and sliced lemons and cook until the sauce is reduced by about 1/3. Baste the salmon with the sauce.3 cloves garlic, minced, 1 pc lemon, sliced into rounds
- Garnish with sliced lemon and serve.
6) Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- 1 head cauliflower, stalk removed
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 pcs eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and also line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Break the cauliflower into florets and put it inside a food processor. In a steamer basket, steam and drain well. (You may use a towel to get all the moisture out.) Let it cool.
- Combine the cauliflower with the mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano, salt, garlic powder and eggs in a bowl. Transfer the mixture to the center of the baking sheet and spread into a circle, resembling a pizza crust. Bake the crust for about 20 minutes1 head cauliflower, stalk removed, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, 1/2 tsp dried oregano , 1/2 tsp kosher salt , 1/4 tsp garlic powder , 2 pcs eggs, lightly beaten
- Add any of your desired topping/s and bake the pizza for an additional 10 minutes.
Setting a tradition of having dinner with the entire family is key to building stronger and lasting relationships for this generation and the generations to come. With so many things going on today, having a meal together with the people close to you is a great way to unwind and relax. It is also an opportunity for the parents to teach their children good eating habits and how to socialize in a positive way. We hope that these meals brought your family closer and filled your hearts with warmth and happiness!