In social events or parties, your guests definitely look forward to an array of dishes that can elevate their entire experience. In these social gatherings, you have prepared flavorful appetizers, delicious main courses, and sweet desserts – our taste buds are surely happy. One of the go-to dishes in these gatherings is the small but definitely delectable finger sandwiches.
- What are finger sandwiches made of?
- How do you make the perfect finger sandwich?
- Top 6 finger sandwiches that made it to our list:
- Cucumber Sandwich
- Smoked Salmon Sandwich
- Egg Pineapple Sandwich
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Roast Beef Sandwich
- Lox and Cream Cheese Stuffed Cucumbers
- 5 Best Bread to Use for Finger Sandwiches
What are finger sandwiches made of?
A classic finger sandwich mainly consists of: (1) soft, white, thinly sliced bread, (2) a spread, (3) light fillings, and (4) optionally topped with dainty garnishes. The bread crust is cut away, leaving the sandwich into its desired shape or size.
Indeed, they come in various forms and are stuffed with an assortment of fillings, but their delicate size and the flavor you get in 2 to 3 bites is what makes it a special match and can complement your well-thought drink.
How do you make the perfect finger sandwich?
To make the perfect sandwich, you need to have all the fresh ingredients and your chosen recipe. Here are some of our favorite finger sandwiches along with the ingredients you need and the steps on how to make them.
Top 6 finger sandwiches that made it to our list:
- 50 mL mayonnaise
- 1 pc cucumber, unpeeled
- 10 slices firm, white brioche bread
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh dill weed
- Cut cucumber into paper-thin slices.1 pc cucumber, unpeeled
- Spread mayonnaise evenly onto each slice of bread. Sprinkle the salt and freshly ground black pepper on one side of each pair of bread slices.50 mL mayonnaise, 10 slices firm, white brioche bread, 1 pinch salt, 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- Add a layer of overlapping cucumber slices and close the sandwich.1 pc cucumber, unpeeled
- Cut off the crust and slice into quarters.
- Garnish with chopped dill.1 tbsp fresh dill weed
Smoked Salmon Sandwich
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slice pumpernickel bread
- 1 pack smoked salmon
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh dill weed
- Spread softened butter onto each slice of bread.1 cup unsalted butter, softened, 8 slice pumpernickel bread
- Add a layer of salmon. Do not put another bread slice on top since this is an open-faced sandwich.1 pack smoked salmon
- Cut a circle out of the sandwich.8 slice pumpernickel bread, 1 pack smoked salmon
- Transfer sour cream onto a piping bag and squeeze a dollop. Finally, sprinkle with chopped dill weed.1 tbsp sour cream, 1 tbsp fresh dill weed
Egg Pineapple Sandwich
- 4 pcs egg, hard boiled
- 1 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 6 slice potato bread
- 3 tbsp. crushed pineapple
- Chop the eggs and mash it a bit with a fork.4 pcs egg, hard boiled
- With the chopped eggs in a bowl, mix in 1 tablespoon of soft butter, 3 tablespoons of crushed pineapple, 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise, and 2 tablespoons of sugar.4 pcs egg, hard boiled, 1 tbsp. butter, softened , 1 tbsp. mayonnaise, 3 tbsp. crushed pineapple, 2 tbsp. sugar
- Spread the egg salad (mixture) onto the bread slices and close the sandwich.6 slice potato bread
- Cut off crusts. Slice the sandwich in half diagonally to form a triangle shape.
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 2 cup cooked chicken breast
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 8 slice firm, light, whole wheat bread
- 1 pc green apple
- Dice the chicken breast.2 cup cooked chicken breast
- In a large bowl, mix the diced chicken breast with ¾ cup of mayonnaise2 cup cooked chicken breast, ¾ cup mayonnaise
- Add the chicken salad thoroughly onto the bread slices and close the sandwich.8 slice firm, light, whole wheat bread
- Cut off the crust. Slice the sandwich diagonally in both directions, forming an “X” to create 4 equal triangles.
- Garnish with paper-thin green apple slices.1 pc green apple
Roast Beef Sandwich
- 1.4 lbs roast beef
- 8 slice light, whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. horseradish cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp. microgreens
- Thinly slice the roast beef.1.4 lbs roast beef
- Spread softened butter evenly on each bread slice.1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened, 8 slice light, whole wheat bread
- Take 2 or 3 slices of roast beef and layer it on one bread slice, sprinkle a pinch of salt.1.4 lbs roast beef, 8 slice light, whole wheat bread, 1 pinch salt
- Spread horseradish cream on the other bread slice and close the sandwich.1 tbsp. horseradish cream, 8 slice light, whole wheat bread
- Cut off the crust. Slice the sandwich vertically and horizontally to create 4 equal squares.
- Garnish with desired microgreen(s).1 tbsp. microgreens
Lox and Cream Cheese Stuffed Cucumbers
- ½ pc lemon, juiced, seeds removed
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 3 ounce smoked salmon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 pc shallot, diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh ground pepper
- 2 pcs unwaxed cucumbers
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounce container sour cream
- To complete the aesthetic cucumber cups, use a peeler and peel along the length of the cucumber.2 pcs unwaxed cucumbers
- Make 1-inch rounds of cucumber after cutting both ends.2 pcs unwaxed cucumbers
- Scoop out the seeds using a melon baller. Make sure not to scoop all the way through.
- Set aside the cucumber and proceed to the next step.
- In a container or bowl, mix the same amount of cream cheese and sour cream.8 ounce cream cheese, softened, 8 ounce container sour cream
- Mix in the shallots, lemon juice, pepper, salt and salmon. Make sure to mix or combine the ingredients properly.½ pc lemon, juiced, seeds removed, 3 ounce smoked salmon, chopped into small pieces, 1 pc shallot, diced, 1 pinch salt, 1 tbsp. fresh ground pepper
- Put the mixture you just prepared into a pastry bag with a star 8 tip.
- Pipe the mixture into the cucumber rounds in generous amounts.
- Add your garnish (dill or red pepper cream cheese)1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
5 Best Bread to Use for Finger Sandwiches
1) White bread is made from finely sifted wheat flour from which the bran and the germ layers have been removed from the whole wheat berry as part of the flour grinding or milling process, producing a light-colored flour. A type of bread that has a fine texture and is one of the most popular varieties of bread
2. Brioche is a French type of viennoiserie, a cross between a pastry and bread, with a high butter, milk, and egg content that makes it rich and tender crumb. This enriched formula gives the finished product a flaky, almost pastry-like texture. It has been enjoyed for centuries as a delicacy.
3. Ciabatta is a type of flattish, open-textured Italian bread made from wheat flour, water, salt, yeast, and olive oil. It was created in 1982 by a baker in Adria in response to the popularity of French baguettes.
4. Rye bread is typically seen in one of two color variations, light or dark, depending on the type of flour used and any additional coloring agents. It tends to be denser and darker and has a stronger, sour yet earthy taste. The flour contains less gluten than wheat flour and doesn’t rise as high as regular wheat-based bread.
5. Sourdough is a consistently-popular option for sandwich bread because it is a specific type of bread that has health benefits. It is made through the natural fermentation of dough using wild Lactobacillaceae and yeast. Lactic acid from fermentation imparts a sour taste and improves keeping qualities.